Monday, May 23, 2011

Goals Accomplished

J and I have 3 goals to accomplish before lady E arrives (10 1/2 more weeks).

Goal #1: M no longer uses a pacifier. I know we got rid of this at 12months, but she teethed at 15months. When M gets teeth it isn't one at a time but in this instance 7 teeth were coming. She was chewing her fingers and we caved. We shouldn't have, but hindsight is 20/20. She started calling them boppy, and we knew it was going to be harder than the first time. Surprise, surprise! One day about 2 months ago or so I got fed up with them and told M to put them in a sandwich bag and then throw them in the trash. Did you catch my safety net in this? Sometimes I am chicken. Much to my surprise she did it! No hollering, no crying, nothing! I waited, and she only asked for them a few times and we would say "remember you threw them in the trash can?" It worked-who knew?


Goal #2: Big girl bed. This goal wasn't exactly an emergency because E is going to sleep in our room, but a part of me wanted to transition M out of the nursery and into the other room just to make it one less change when E arrives. We put her big girl bed together in March and she liked going into her new room. About the 2nd week in April I put on a determined air of confidence and put her down for nap in the bed. I had to tell her to go back to bed a couple of times, and in about 20 minutes she was asleep. I was prepared for a huge battle and it didn't happen. After about a week or so we started putting her down at night too-that was slightly harder, but nothing too terrible. It kind of reminded me of sleep training again, but less crying and more going in there and having her get back in bed. We did have to start putting her toys "to sleep" as well so she would stop getting out to play with them. I can confidently say now that this goal is also accomplished!

Here are some pictures of her new room (still a working progress):
This is how I hang her art work. She loves looking and pointing at it. I got this idea from Lemontree Creations.
 This is where some of her toys and clothes are stored:
 We were going to buy a portable side rail, but she has yet to fall out. If she did fall out she isn't very high off the ground because she does not have a box spring, but a board that is used in bunk beds.
I still have some more decorating to do, but I like the way it is starting to come together.

Goal #3: Potty training. We have yet to truly begin this one, but it is coming. Here is hoping for smooth sailing!

No comments:

Post a Comment