Friday, May 31, 2013

Homeschooling 2013-2014 Books

Our books arrived last week. I wanted to order early so that I had all summer to plan for the year. There are too many great books and ideas for me to decide on just one curriculum. I can already tell that I am going to be eclectic, and use a little bit of several homeschooling philosophies. This might easily change, but we are just going to take it one year at a time.
Thankfully it is only preschool.

I am not sure if we are going to use all of these books or are going to need more. Last year showed me that M and I prefer to take it a day at a time. I am still learning the balance of encouraging to do something she doesn't like to do tempered with fostering letting her decide. Most of the time she is just fine, but when it gets somewhat hard practicing it can be somewhat of a challenge.


The Kumon book Let's Sticker and Paste is for E. I might also get her a couple more for her "school time" to go with her Montessori like activities.
M is currently working through Developing the Early Learner 1 by Simone Bibeau and Gerry Kruck and Get Set for the Code A by Nancy Hall. She is really enjoying both, but the handwriting practice is a little hard sometimes.

E is going to join us for these books. They both love Richard Scarry's books so much!


Read out loud books.  
Chicken Soup with Rice by Maurice Sendak will be for used with our study of the months and seasons unit.

She has already started the BOB books collection 1. We are slowly working our way through them. So far they are working wonderfully. It has been great with working with our phonics lessons. We just purchased A Rookie Reader books through Scholastic publishing. They came recommended by a blog I love I Can Teach my Child  She has a post about early readers. We shall see how M enjoys them.

Love the pictures in the A Child's Book of Poems by Gyo Fujikawa. I am a little sad now that you can purchase this brand new from Amazon. I had to hunt high and low for it, because I could only find it in Great Britain and Australia used. I did find it on Ebay from someone in the United States. C'est la vie. If you can buy it I would snatch this book up. It is beautiful and a great collection in my opinion.
We LOVE cooking through Pretend Soup by Mollie Katzen. Some of the recipes were not hits in our house, but most are and are age appropriate for our littles. We look forward to cooking our way through Salad People by the same author.

These are our science books. J does much of the science lessons with the girls. It is more his forte. He is excited about the book Take A Wetlands Walk by Jane Kirkland the most. It will go nicely with the nature journal we are going to start with M this fall.


Here are the games we are going to use for taking turns and cooperation. Can you tell we love Peaceable Kingdom games in this house? E uses the Crocodile Creek 2 piece color puzzles and plays Moo & Baa and Feed the Woozle with us. The other two games are bit much for her.

We may take a detour in the plan later this summer, and study chimpanzees. M bought a book at the museum about Jane Goodall. It is called Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnell. I can not say enough amazing things about this book. It is currently read every night, and requested by both girls.

Now all someone has to do is plan and organize it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment