Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Our 2016-2017 Curriculum

 It has been an eventful year. I am thankful for each day I have with my family. We homeschool our daughters because God has led us here. The beauty of doing school at home is that we can do school around our schedule. We just need to meet 180 days. I have already bought our books for the the coming school year because we are considering starting in July. There are many reasons tied into this decision including something we have always wanted to do and take the whole month of December off.

We follow a classical education style:

Note: I will do a separate post with their read alouds.
  M is going to be in 2nd grade!

Math: CLE 2 and 3, and Life of Fred Cats ( I am hoping to squeeze in a few chapters during our break; Dogs (maybe Edgewood)

Grammar: First Language Lessons 2

Writing: Writing with Ease 2

Science: Elemental Science-Earth Science for the Grammar Stage

History Odyssey: Level 1 Middle Ages

Phonics & Reading: Phonics Pathways (wrapping up), Explode the Code 5-6, McGuffey Level 2 reader, and Sonlight recommended readers (her choice)

Spelling: I am trying a different approach this year to tests with M. We are going to do more dictation, and use words from ETC and McGuffey. If I see she needs more help then I will add a different spelling curriculum. We have been learning the rules through our other curriculum.

Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser 2c -cursive

Art: ArtPac 2, Usborne drawing books
Music: still up in the air, but will include Story of the Orchestra and various composer studies
Extra: Analogies for Critical Thinking, Mind Benders

Latin: Song School Latin

We are also going to let her take monthly classes at our local zoo.

E is going to be in Kindergarten!

Math: finishing up Singapore Essentials B then moving toward 1A. I am not sure if she will be ready for 1B after 1A. We may supplement with some FlashKids workbooks. Life of Fred- Apples

Science: Elemental Science: Intro to Science

History & Geography: lots of reading (overview of world history) Usborne Time Traveler, Story of Exploration are our spines. We will also read lots of Magic Treehouse and Imagination Station books.
Evan Moor Beginning Geography book.

Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser K

Phonics and Reading: Explode the Code 1-2, Phonics Pathways, BOB books, McGuffey Primer, Learning to Read (from Pathway reader)

Rod & Staff F-I books. These cover a variety of subjects. E loves them!

Art: ArtPac 1 as we see fits her skill level

Extra: Critical Thinking Company's Mind Benders 

A is in Nursery School and along for the ride!

Potty training is on the list for this year. We are reluctantly training her right now, but not really just yet.
I bought her a few books to entertain her while I do school with the bigger girls. 

1.Rod &Staff preschool books: About 3, Color, Count, and Cut
2.Dollar Tree sticker books
3.Prayers for Children Little Golden Book
4.LeapFrog Letter Factory (best DVD ever!)
5.Before Five in a Row reading list
6. Montessori Letter, Number, and Shape board books 
We will be doing little Montessori activities with her about twice a week like pouring, sorting, folding, etc.
I will be pulling ideas from 1+1+1=1 and the book Slow & Steady Get Me Ready 



No comments:

Post a Comment