M's List that she reads: (most of these are series)
1. Poppleton by Cynthia Rylant
2. Circle C Beginnings by Susan Marlow
3. Pony Scout series by Catherine Hapka
4. Henry and Mudge by Cynthia Rylant
5. Nate the Great by Marjorie Weinman Sharmot
6. Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa by Erica Silverman
7. Annie and Snowball by Cynthia Rylant
8. First Days Pathway Reader
Read Out Loud:
1. Pollyanna by Eleanor Porter
2. Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary
3. Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
4. Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling
5. Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary
FIRST GRADE
I started planning first grade last summer when I read Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer. I have always held a good opinion about classical education, but after reading that book I really think it is a good fit for our family.
2015-2016
Bible/Devotional: This is still up in the air, but I think we are going to go through Thoughts to Make your Heart Sing by Sally Lloyd Jones and/or God's Names by Sally Michael. I have also considered the Adventures in Odyssey Devotional as well.
Spelling: Building Spelling Skills Book 1
Language Arts: Language Smarts B (Critical Thinking Company) and First Language Lessons by Susan Wise Bauer
Writing: Writing With Ease 1 by Susan Wise Bauer
Reading and Phonics: McGuffey Reader 1, Phonics Pathways by Dolores Hiskes, and Explode the Code 3&4 and Beyond the Code 1 by Nancy Hall
We are also going to be studying some poems by Robert Frost and Emily Dickinson.
Science: Elemental Science Biology for the Grammar Stage by Paige Hudson This was a super hard decision for me, but we chose this one because the plans are designed to use 2 days or 5 days a week. We need this kind of flexibility. Also, E can join us during science which is a huge plus.
History: History Odyssey Ancients Level One by Pandia Press There are several other books recommended to buy for this set, but I am still deciding on a timeline to purchase. I am also going to check out some others at the library. We are also going to start reading the Imagination Station series by
by Paul McCusker and Marianne Hering
Math: She is almost done with Horizon Math 1 Book1, and then will work on Book 2. When she is done we are leaning toward her using Christian Light math grade 2. The My Calendar Book is from Christian Light. She will also continue her "Fred Fridays". She loves Life of Fred so she will continue into the Butterflies (and probably Cats too) book by Dr. Stanley Schmidt.
Art: M is so excited about starting these Usborne drawing books. I can hardly keep her away from them. I am probably going to cave and give them to her soon.
Critical thinking:
Read alouds are such a sweet time for her and her dad. I just have not bought all of them yet, but I imagine this will be a good start.
Paddington Races Ahead by Michael Bond (this is her choice-she adores Paddington.)
Usborne Greek Myths
A Tree for Peter by Kate Seredy (J and I love this book, and are excited about sharing it with her.)
Hitty her first hundred years by Rachel Field
Amy Carmichael by Janet and Geoff Benge
The Wheel on the School by Meindert Dejong
The Golden Book Family Treasury of Poetry by Louis Untermeyer
Not pictured:
Homer Price by Robert Mccloskey
Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry
The Year of Miss Agnes by Kirkpatrick Hill
Little Pear by Eleanor Frances Lattimore
The Family Under the Bridge by Natalie Savage Carlson
All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor
Pasteur's Fight Against Microbes by Beverly Birch
Missionary Stories with the Millers by Mildred Martin
Mountain Born by Elizabeth Yates







No comments:
Post a Comment