Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Getting Better All the Time

Last night was huge to my self-esteem. If you knew me in my college days and prior I was horrible at cooking. I even messed up Easy Mac. Then I got married to Jeremy. He is such an encourager and through continual practice I am decent at following recipes until last night. I branched out. I plan meals for the whole week (usually) then buy the ingredients on Sunday. This way I don't have waste, and trust me I would if I didn't do things in this manner. I had anticipated Monday to be a Rachael Ray chicken dish that J just loves. Well, I bought the chicken, the kalamata olives, but forgot the tomatoes and bread crumbs. So yesterday I didn't know what to do about dinner. There was only one thing to do, make another trip to the grocery store or figure out a different dish with the stuff I had on hand.
I buy feta in bulk-cheaper that way, and I LOVE feta. I figured some sort of feta chicken bake. I scoured the internet looking for a good recipe. I wasn't in the mood to stuff feta in the chicken, and other times I have done that the chicken is bland. Then I went over the Whipped the food blog. She has great Greek recipes. I saw this recipe for Greek Peasant Salad. I was inspired. I created my own recipe and moved up a stage of cooking. I don't consider changing one or a couple ingredients in a recipe as creating your own, but this was my own.

GRILLED GREEK CHICKEN:
I took oregano, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and the juice of half a lemon and sea salt and pepper and combined them to my taste. I then poured that into a Ziploc bag. I then washed and patted dry my chicken breasts and salt and peppered them. Put the chicken into the bag, shook, and then placed in the refrigerator until J got home (like 30 minutes). I had J grill the chicken while I sauteed some chopped red onion. After the chicken was done I placed them into a oven safe dish and put feta, kalamata olives, and the red onion on top of each breast. Put into a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes and done.

I know this is a long post. I made the story longer than it needed to be, but I am proud of myself, and hope I continue to get better at cooking. Thanks for reading.

4 comments: